Georgia Williams disappearance: Man in murder arrest

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPolice made an appeal on Wednesday: "We are gravely concerned"

A man arrested over the disappearance of a teenager is now being questioned on suspicion of her murder, police have said.

Georgia Williams, 17, from Wellington, Shropshire, was last seen in the town on Sunday.

A 22-year-old Telford man was arrested in Glasgow on Wednesday.

Initially questioned on suspicion of kidnapping the teenager, he has now been returned to Telford where he has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Supt Nav Malik, of West Mercia Police, said the arrest followed developments in the investigation on Wednesday evening.

'Social media friends'

"However, I would like to stress that Georgia Williams has still not been found and achieving that is still the primary focus of our investigation," he said.

A semi-detached house in Avondale Road, Wellington - where neighbours said a Jamie Reynolds lived with his parents - is being searched for a second day by forensics officers.

Image caption Police are appealing for help to track the movements of this silver Toyota Hiace van

One woman, who declined to be named and lives nearby, said the man's parents were not at the house when police arrived as they were currently abroad on holiday.

Police have cordoned off an area of Brown Moss nature reserve, near Whitchurch, and a forensics tent has been put up, but it is not yet known if the search is linked to Georgia's disappearance.

At a press conference on Wednesday, police made it clear the arrested man was not Georgia's boyfriend and they were just "friends on social media".

Georgia, the daughter of a serving West Mercia Police officer, is a former head girl at Ercall Wood Technology College in Telford.

Chay Davis, head teacher of the college, said: "Georgia enjoyed being at school very much and earned the respect of all the staff here. She was a great help to me during her time as head girl.

"Her duties included representing the school at public events, which she did with enthusiasm and maturity. Georgia brought a lot to the role, including plenty of energy.

"We are devastated by the nature of the current investigations and we are hoping she will be found safe and well very soon. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this very difficult time."

Officers said they urgently wanted people to come forward who had information on her whereabouts after about 19:30 BST on Sunday, when she left the family home.

'So confused'

Katy Lafferty, one of Georgia's closest friends, said: "She never told me anything about it.

"I would be the person she'd tell, so that's why I'm so confused because she hasn't said anything.

"We spend so much time together and we were meant to be doing so much together this week and I just want to see her."

Georgia's parents believed she was staying overnight with friends and reported her missing on Tuesday, when it became clear nobody had seen or heard from her, Supt Malik said.

Police said the last text messages and calls from her mobile phone were made at about 20:00 on Sunday.

They also asked for help in tracking a silver Toyota Hiace 300 GS van, registration number CX06 ASV, which had travelled from Wellington to Oswestry, Shropshire, before going to Rhyl, Chester, Cumbria and then to Glasgow.

Supt Malik said: "If you think you saw this vehicle either en route or parked somewhere, between Sunday evening and when we recovered it in a car park in Glasgow city centre yesterday, then please let us know."

Police in Scotland have searched two addresses in Glasgow.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites