Swan saved after swallowing hooks in Somerset
A swan has had two hooks removed from its beak and neck after it swallowed a fishing line in Somerset.
A walker saw the adult male flapping its wings in agony on a tributary of the River Parrett near Westhay on Monday.
Lifeguards from Burnham-On-Sea Area Rescue Boat (Barb) rescued the bird. It was taken to a vet to have the hooks removed.
It is expected to recover and be released into the wild next week.
The incident comes about a month after the crew rescued a cygnet from Bridgwater Canal after it partially swallowed a discarded hook and line.
It was taken to a vet for treatment.
Graeme Thompson, from Highbridge-based wildlife charity Secret World Wildlife Rescue, helped in the adult male's rescue.
He said: "This was one of the worst-injured birds I have seen for a long time.
"The rescue would not have been possible without the boat crew's help and the bird is now recovering."
He added: "This incident serves as a reminder to anglers to think twice when discarding unused fishing line - it can have terrible consequences for animals."