Somerset

Bridgwater cat poisoned with antifreeze

A cat has been put down after it ate chicken that was apparently laced with antifreeze in Bridgwater, the RSPCA has said.

The charity said the animal brought the blue chicken home on 12 January and fell ill the next day.

In 2008, cat owners were told to keep their pets indoors after 27 deaths in a 20-mile radius of the seaside Somerset town.

It is thought that most of them were poisoned with antifreeze.

The RSPCA said the cat's owner, Phillipa Warton-Browne, took him to the vet where he was put down due to renal failure.

She has now distributed leaflets to her neighbours describing what happened.

Avon and Somerset Police are investigating.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites