Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Sheffield man 'lucky' after left cigarette starts fire

A Sheffield man has been described as "lucky to be alive" after sleeping through a fire alarm triggered by an unattended cigarette.

Firefighters said the man, 50, was pulled unconscious from his Scotia Drive property on Sunday night.

He regained consciousness after being given oxygen outside the property.

Earlier in the evening a woman aged 83 was rescued from her Skelton Drive flat after setting fire to papers while smoking in bed.

Speaking about both incidents Watch Manager Steve Krzebietka from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Thankfully fire crews were on the scene very quickly but a few more minutes and we could have been dealing with a fatality."

He said it was not safe to smoke in bed because cigarettes could easily set fire to bedclothes and "you may never wake up because the fumes can kill you".

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites