Gary Madine guilty of two Sheffield nightclub attacks on fans
A footballer has been found guilty of assaulting two fans in separate attacks in Sheffield nightclubs.
Sheffield Wednesday striker Gary Madine hit Daniel Beresford in the Paris Bar in February 2012, and four weeks later attacked Reece Hall in the Viper Rooms.
The jury at Leeds Crown Court convicted him of causing Mr Beresford actual bodily harm and causing Mr Hall grievous bodily harm.
A judge granted Madine bail but warned him a jail sentence was "very likely".
The Championship footballer is due to be sentenced at a later date.'Favourite players'
The court had been told Madine, who has a previous conviction for assault, attacked Mr Beresford, a Sheffield Wednesday fan, knocking him unconscious and breaking his nose.
Mr Beresford said Madine had been staring at him in the bar and, when he had asked why, the player lashed out.
Gary Madine profile
- Born 24 August, 1990
- Signed for Carlisle United in 2007
- Loaned to Rochdale, Coventry City and Chesterfield
- Signed for Sheffield Wednesday in January 2011 for an undisclosed fee
- In the 2012-13 season he made 35 appearances for the Owls scoring four goals
- He has made just one appearance as a substitute this season in a League Cup game against Rotherham
He said: "He was one of my favourite players, someone I looked up to."
Madine admitted hitting Mr Beresford but said he was acting in self-defence.
The jury cleared him of the more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm.
The court was told Mr Hall, a Sheffield United fan, was left with a broken jaw and a fractured cheek after Madine asked him who he supported.
Mr Hall, who did not recognise the Wednesday striker, replied "United", and moments later he was punched in the eye.
He suffered a broken jaw and his cheek was fractured in five places.
In relation to that attack, Madine was cleared of the more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
Judge Rodney Jameson QC granted Madine bail but said: "You must understand that an immediate custodial sentence is very likely."
The court heard the footballer, originally from Gateshead, already had a conviction for knocking out a man in Carlisle after pleading guilty to the attack in February 2010.