Cigarette 'caused fatal house fire' in Armthorpe

Related Stories

A house fire which led to an elderly woman's death was a "tragic accident" caused by a cigarette, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has said.

The unnamed victim was found by fire crews at the house in Milton Grove, Armthorpe in Doncaster on Tuesday afternoon. She died later in hospital.

Investigating officer Mick Mason said "all indications point to careless handling of cigarettes".

He said the house had smoke alarms, but the woman had not had time to escape.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Weather

Sheffield

12 °C 6 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Woman in swimming pool Green stuff

    The element that makes a familiar smell when mixed with urine


  • Plane at Shannon airportShannon's call

    The airport that hosted a roll-call of presidents


  • Susanne du ToitTop 10 Tips

    Portrait painter Susanne du Toit on being an artist


  • Atletico's Diego Godin celebrates his goal with teammate David VillaWeek in pictures

    The best news photographs from around the world


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • ITChild's play

    It's never been easier for small businesses to get their message out to the world

Programmes

  • Joe Ierardi playing a pianoClick Watch

    Meet the man trying to create the perfect digital piano - but is it as good as the real thing?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.