Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Faulty Christmas tree lights cause Doncaster house fire

Fire damaged house
Image caption Three people were rescued from the house in Dixon Crescent in Doncaster

Faulty Christmas tree lights are thought to have caused a serious house fire which led to three people being rescued.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus to lead the three to safety from the home in Dixon Crescent, Doncaster.

Two of the people, a man in his 30s and another man in his 20s, were neighbours who had tried to rescue the occupant of the house, a woman in her 20s.

All three were treated in hospital for the effects of smoke inhalation.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze started on the ground floor of the property which was well alight when crews arrived, "with flames beginning to shoot through the downstairs windows of the terraced house".

Watch manager Dave Newton, of Edlington fire station, said: "This was a really serious fire which has resulted in three people being taken to hospital.

"The early conclusions of our fire investigators are that faulty Christmas tree lights caused the blaze, so please check the safety of any lights you are using."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites