Stoke & Staffordshire

Electric blanket starts bed fire in Stoke-on-Trent

Firefighters have warned people not to leave electric blankets on overnight after a girl's bed caught fire in Stoke-on-Trent.

The girl woke up at about 0400 GMT struggling to breathe properly, realised the bed was on fire and alerted her mother in another room.

The fire service said the fire broke out at a property in Ovaldene Way, Trentham.

The fire service said people should test electric blankets once a year.

It said fire service offered this service free of charge.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites