Stoke & Staffordshire

Sickness bug ruined Tamworth family's dream holiday

A family from Staffordshire who are to be compensated after becoming ill on holiday in Majorca have told how their dream trip was ruined.

The Palin family, from Tamworth, caught a vomiting and diarrhoea bug at Son Baulo Hotel in 2003.

Shelley Palin said her husband Nigel and 22-month-old son Joshua were so ill they could not leave their hotel room.

Tour operator Thomson has been held liable for failing to warn customers about sickness at the resort.

The Palins said they had been looking forward to their two-week family break.

'Impossible standard'

Mrs Palin said: "We have no happy memories of what was supposed to be, at the time, a dream holiday."

The Palins are among 10 holiday makers from the West Midlands who are due to receive compensation for the salmonella and cryptosporidium outbreaks.

The decision was made at Birmingham County Court and is thought to be the first time an English court has held a tour operator liable for cryptosporidium infections among tourists.

There were 49 successful British claimants in total.

A spokesman for Thomson, which is now part of the Tui group, said: "We would like to reassure all customers that their health and safety is our primary concern when travelling with us.

"We are very disappointed with the decision as we sincerely believe that we did everything in our power to safeguard our customers' wellbeing at the time.

"We have been criticised for not meeting a standard that is impossible to meet, as a consequence we are currently considering our options in respect of an appeal."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites