Stoke & Staffordshire

Newborn girl scalded by Stafford Hospital midwives

A newborn has been scalded by midwives from Stafford Hospital.

Six-day-old Katie Ward was scalded on her left foot during a visit by midwives to her home in Staffordshire on 15 May, the hospital confirmed.

The hospital's finance director, Darren Cattell, said: "The hospital must sincerely apologise to Baby Katie."

He said an investigation had been started but refused to confirm any other details about the inquiry or how Katie sustained her injury.

Mr Cattell would not say what has had happened to the midwives involved in the case.

He also refused to state the terms of reference for the investigation or who was carrying it out.

He said Katie was receiving ongoing treatment at Stafford Hospital and Birmingham Children's Hospital.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites