Stoke-on-Trent fire: Residents urged to close windows
A major fire in Stoke-on-Trent has led to residents being asked to stay inside their homes due to the smoke.
Emergency services were called to the fire at the Biffa Waste Services site, in Newstead, during the afternoon.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said there was a large plume of smoke from the fire.
He urged people, especially those with breathing difficulties, to close all windows and doors, although he said the smoke was not thought to be harmful.
"The ambulance staff will remain on scene providing medical cover for the firefighters who are tackling the fire.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue said it had two crews at the scene, but they were using specialised appliances which could use high volumes of water.
A spokeswoman said crews would remain at the site for most of the night as it was a large building fire.