Stoke & Staffordshire

Burton fire: Chinese restaurant and flats evacuated

A restaurant and flats were evacuated after a fire broke out in a Chinese restaurant in Staffordshire.

Three fire engines attended the blaze at The Ruby, in High Street, Burton, at 09:20 BST.

On arrival, firefighters were faced with a fire involving a commercial chip pan unit.

A carbon dioxide extinguisher was used to tackle the fire, which started accidentally after the unit overheated and caught fire.

Station manager Toby Wilson, from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said the fire was in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant on the ground floor of a three-storey building.

'Wait outside'

He said flats above the restaurant were evacuated while they dealt with the fire.

He added: "No-one was injured, however the restaurant owners admitted to trying to tackle the fire themselves using water and a wet tea towel.

"It is very lucky they weren't hurt whilst doing that and we would urge people not to try and tackle fires themselves.

"Instead, concentrate on getting yourself out of the property, close the door behind you, then call us and wait outside in a safe place for us to arrive."

Crews left the scene at 10:05 BST.

Meanwhile, a fire at a former Cheddleton social club was started deliberately, the fire service said.

The fire broke out at about 00:20 BST in Beech Avenue and affected the roof and the inside of the disused building.

It was started deliberately by someone setting fire to wood next to the property, the fire service said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites