Fire destroys 1820s mill in Upper Tean
An old mill in Staffordshire, dating from the 1820s, has been destroyed by a large fire.
Fire crews were called to the former Arc Gas Welding site in Upper Tean just after 04:00 BST.
The three-storey mill suffered extensive damage, but firefighters stopped the blaze from spreading to attached units and five businesses have been saved.
It is not known at this stage how the old mill was being used.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue said the building is visibly unstable.
Ant Fowell, from Cheadle fire station, said: "It [the fire] had already gone through three floors, and when we'd arrived, gone through the roof."
Local residents in the terraced houses behind the site said they did not even realise it was on fire until they woke up as normal in the morning.
Investigations are due to be carried out later.