Stoke & Staffordshire

Stapenhill fire victim 'had tackled blaze'

An 88-year-old woman who died in a fire is believed to have tried to tackle the blaze herself, say firefighters.

The woman died after the kitchen fire in Cherry Tree Road, Stapenhill, Staffordshire, on 22 January.

Mick Archer, group manager for the county's fire and rescue service, said she suffered fatal injuries after her clothes caught fire.

Mr Archer urged people to never tackle fires themselves. "It isn't worth the risk," he said.

The fire service manager said the woman lost her life following a tragic accident.

"We would urge people never to tackle fires, no matter how small the fire is or if you think you can handle it yourself - please don't."

The service said if a fire occurred people should close the door to the room concerned, if it was safe to do so, then get out or, if that was not possible, go to a safe area of the property and call firefighters.

"Do not attempt to go back into the property or tackle the fire yourself, leave that to us," Mr Archer said.

He added the incident highlighted the reason the service had backed legislation which would see sprinklers fitted in all new properties.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites