Stoke & Staffordshire

Brian Weaver named as Stoke-on-Trent retirement flat fire victim

A 67-year-old man who died following a fire at his flat at a retirement village in Staffordshire has been named by police.

Brian Weaver died in the fire at Berryhill Village in Arbourfield Drive, Stoke-on-Trent, which broke out at 22:00 GMT on Monday.

A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) spokesman said the fire may have been started by smoking materials.

Nearby flats were evacuated after on-site staff heard a smoke alarm.

Keith Stubbs, from SFRS, said: "The fire was a tragic accident which has resulted in a man losing his life.

"It appears that the man had been smoking and somehow the sofa and other items in the flat have then caught fire.

"We would urge smokers to ensure that if they do smoke in the home that they remain vigilant whilst doing so and carefully dispose of all smoking materials.

"We attend a high number of house fires which are caused by smoking materials and whilst we appreciate that people's habits are not necessarily going to change we hope that our safety advice is taken on board to prevent future incidents of a similar nature."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites