Stoke & Staffordshire

Stafford Hospital: The victims

The public inquiry into Stafford Hospital is being published on Wednesday.

It is expected to lay bare how the scandal happened.

In particular, it will focus on the commissioning, supervision and regulation of the trust.

But what is already clear from previous inquiries is that hundreds of people died needlessly because of "appalling" treatment.

Here are some of the most horrifying cases.

Bella Bailey

Image caption Bella Bailey collapsed after being left without an oxygen supply

Bella Bailey died in 2007, at the age of 86, after spending two months at Stafford Hospital following a routine hernia operation.

Her daughter Julie Bailey launched the Cure the NHS campaign to highlight what was happening at the hospital.

After her mother had been left without oxygen despite needing it 24 hours a day, Ms Bailey told a public inquiry, her family had been so scared for her safety they had stayed with her around the clock.

The family also described how a healthcare assistant had slipped and fallen when transferring Bella back to bed after taking her to the toilet and had dropped her on her back across the bed, after which she had been really frightened of the staff and had never really recovered.

In a report published by the Patient's Association, Ms Bailey said the impression on the ward had been one of "utter chaos" and "sounds of patients falling and crying was not uncommon".

Ellen Linstead

Mrs Linstead died in 2006, at the age of 67, at Stafford Hospital, after contracting a series of infections following treatment for bone cancer.

She had been told her cancer was in remission but she needed to return to the hospital for physiotherapy.

But while in hospital, she contracted both MRSA and Clostridium difficile.

In the four months she was in the hospital before she died, her family said the ward had been filthy and she had often been left in her own faeces and urine, her dignity taken away from her.

A complaint made by her daughter to the Healthcare Commission was upheld with the conclusion there had been a lack of personal care and infection control in the treatment of Mrs Linstead, a retired dinner lady.

John Moore-Robinson

Image caption John Moore-Robinson bled to death from a ruptured spleen

Mr Moore-Robinson died in 2006, at the age of 20, after being taken to A&E at Stafford Hospital following a mountain bike crash on a visit to Cannock Chase.

He was sent home from hospital with some painkillers after X-rays revealed bruised ribs, but bled to death less than 24 hours later from a ruptured spleen.

Mr Moore-Robinson was vomiting and in agony when his friends drove him back to his home in Coalville, Leicestershire, after he was discharged.

Within hours, his family said, he had called 999 himself because he had been in severe pain, but he died as paramedics reached him.

A senior consultant told the coroner that, in his opinion, the death had been "avoidable" and there was a "high probability that the level of care delivered to Mr Moore-Robinson was negligent".

The inquest into his death recorded a narrative verdict, which means no individual was blamed.

His father is now trying to have this verdict overturned.

George Dalziel

Mr Dalziel died in 2007, at the age of 64, in Stafford Hospital after being admitted for surgery for bowel cancer.

The surgery had appeared to be successful, but Mr Dalziel deteriorated quickly over the next two weeks, unable to drink or eat.

His family said they had watched him waste away while no-one took any action.

At an inquest into his death, it was found that he had not been given prescribed medications, including morphine, to help with the pain.

For the first three days after the operation, he was in agony, and it was eventually found that an epidural had been put in the wrong place and the only pain relief he had had was paracetamol.

His family said he had become very unwell, had been in a lot of pain and had clearly been losing a lot of weight, but no-one had seemed to know why he had not been recovering.

They also said there had been too few nurses, which had often led to his calls for help going to the toilet or for more pain relief going unanswered.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites