Chip pan fire emergencies increase in Staffordshire

Still from a fire safety video Since April Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has been called to 324 kitchen fires

Related Stories

The number of chip pan fires attended by crews in Staffordshire has increased by 8% over the last two years, the county's fire service has said.

In 2012 Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service attended 70 house fires caused by chip pans.

Glynn Luznyj, head of risk reduction, said: "Chip pans can cause serious fires because they can very quickly overheat and then ignite."

To raise awareness the fire service is organising demonstrations this week.

In 2012 the neighbouring Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service attended 39 fires caused by chip pans.

Crews in the West Midlands were called out to 21 similar incidents between February 2012 and February 2013.

A fire service Spokesperson said: "Whilst we have only had a small increase in chip pan fires it is an increase nonetheless and all were avoidable fires.

"We hope by educating people further about the dangers of chip pans we will see a decrease in such fires this year. "

'Falling asleep'

Last week three people in Tamworth called 999 as a chip pan fire destroyed their kitchen late at night. They were uninjured.

Start Quote

We attend numerous fires caused by people putting their chip pans on and then falling asleep or getting distracted”

End Quote Glynn Luznyi Staffordshire Fire and Rescue

Tamworth station manager Al Bateman said: "Luckily, smoke alarms operated in the property and alerted the people inside to the fire. They managed to escape and firefighters extinguished the fire.

"The kitchen has been destroyed and this incident could have been avoided had the chip pan not been left unattended."

Mr Luznyj added: "We attend numerous fires caused by people putting their chip pans on and then falling asleep or getting distracted by a phone call or someone at the door."

Instead the service is urging people to use deep fat fryers with automatic thermostats "or consider a healthier option that does not require the use of cooking fat or oils."

Cannock firefighters will be holding two chip pan fire demonstrations in the town centre on 20 and 21 February between 11:00 and 13:00 GMT.

Another will be held in Stafford's Burton Square between 13:00 and 16:00 on 22 February.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Stoke & Staffordshire

Weather

Stoke-on-Trent

Min. Night 2 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Signposts showing the US and UK flagsAn ocean apart

    How British misunderstanding of the US is growing


  • Before and after shotsPerfect body

    Just how reliable are 'before and after' photos?


  • Mukesh SinghNo remorse

    Delhi bus rapist says victim shouldn't have fought back


  • A cow wearing sunglasses overlaid with the phrase 'Can't touch this'Cow row

    Thousands rally against the ban on beef in India


Elsewhere on the BBC

Programmes

  • Former al-Qaeda double agent Aimen DeanHARDtalk Watch

    Islamic State is about revenge says former al-Qaeda member turned spy Aimen Dean

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.