Stoke-on-Trent bedroom fire caused by lightning strike

A lightning bolt started a fire in the home of a sleeping family in Stoke-on-Trent.

Lightning struck the television aerial and blew a hole in the roof, setting alight the room below and cutting the power supply, Staffordshire Fire Service said.

It happened at about 08:00 BST on Annette Road in Fenton. Firefighters have put out the blaze.

More storms are expected later, the Met Office has warned.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Stoke & Staffordshire

Weather

Stoke-on-Trent

Min. Night 16 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Man holding lipWitch hunt

    The country where a writer accused of blasphemy must run


  • Espresso cupNews quiz

    Which city serves the strongest cup of coffee?


  • Lauren Arrington holding up a fishSomething's fishy

    Scientist claims 'child prodigy' getting credit for his discovery


  • A woman's stomach with the words "I love IDF"'War porn'?

    Support - and disdain - for women posting sexy selfies for the IDF


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • CastleRoyal real estate

    No longer reserved for kings and queens, some find living in a castle simply divine

Programmes

  • Leader of Hamas Khaled MeshaalHARDtalk Watch

    BBC exclusive: Hamas leader on the eagerness to end bloodshed in Gaza

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.