Stoke & Staffordshire

Royal Stoke hospital remains 'incredibly busy'

University Hospital North Midlands
Image caption A major incident declared at the Royal Stoke Hospital on Monday night has now been dropped

A health boss has warned Royal Stoke University Hospital is still "incredibly busy" despite dropping is major incident status.

Latest figures show fewer than 60% of A&E patients are seen within four hours, compared to the 95% target.

Dr Ann Marie Morris, clinical director of emergency medicine, said the situation had led to a backlog in the rest of the hospital.

A number of operations have been postponed to focus on emergency care.

Royal Stoke is among a number of hospitals across England who declared major incidents earlier this week as staff struggled to cope with patient numbers.

Dr Morris said: "There are still a lot of people who need to be moved through the system.

"So while the emergency department is in a slightly better position this weekend, certainly than it was last weekend, the hospital as a whole is still incredibly busy."

She urged people to seek alternatives if possible and added there had been a 20% rise in the number of people who had gone to Haywood Walk-in Centre in Burslem in the past week, which had eased pressure on the hospital.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites