Stoke & Staffordshire

Toddler strangled by window blind cord in Stoke-on-Trent

Bronwyn Taylor Image copyright SWNS.com
Image caption Bronwyn Taylor became tangled in the metal cord at the house in Stoke-on-Trent

A 16-month-old toddler who was playing at her grandparents' house has been strangled by a window blind cord.

Bronwyn Taylor became tangled in the metal cord in Stoke-on-Trent, stopped breathing and was pronounced dead at hospital on Saturday afternoon.

The girl was at the house while her parents went to the theatre with two of their sons.

Her parents, Matthew and Cathy Taylor, are urging other parents to be vigilant against dangers in the home.

Mr Taylor said: "It just can't be in vain, she was the apple of our eye.

"It's not about me or Cathy, it's about Bronwyn who has missed out on the rest of her life because of a five-second accident."

Read more news for Stoke-on-Trent

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said it was aware of 27 confirmed deaths from blind cords since 2004 in the UK, with all aged younger than 36 months.

'She was a star'

Mr Taylor, 40, urged people to "have a look around and check everything" at home.

He said: "The leads were up out of the way, we don't know how they came down.

"Those blinds have been up for 20 years and they were up out the way.

"We are trying to get the message out there - it happened to be blinds but it could have been anything."

Mrs Taylor, 42, described their little girl as "absolutely fabulous" and said: "She was just a star."

She added: "She was funny and kind and adored by so many people."

Family and friends are raising money for the Donna Louise Children's Hospice Trust in Bronwyn's honour.

Staffordshire Police is preparing a report into her death and a post-mortem examination will be carried out.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites