Suffolk

Online 'choking game' led to boy's death, mother claims

Tyler Mison
Image caption Tyler Mison, from Suffolk, was described as a "normal happy lad"

The mother of a boy who hanged himself has called on internet sites to erase anything which could encourage experiments with strangulation.

Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean recorded an open verdict on the death of Tyler Mison, 13, at the inquest in Ipswich.

His mother Joanne Mison, of Shotley Gate, Suffolk, said she was convinced that her son Tyler had died after experimenting with a "choking game".

Dr Dean said the death may have been due to some form of high-risk game.

'Easily led'

But he added it was difficult to say if that was what had happened.

Police said they could find no clues to indicate why Tyler, who was born in Manchester, had hanged himself and no evidence he had been playing a choking game.

Dr Dean said Tyler had seemed a "normal happy lad" and there was no evidence to suggest that he intended to take his own life.

Tyler was, said his parents, a happy, but easily led boy.

A pupil at Holbrook High School in Shotley, he was planning to join the Army Cadet Force.

On 9 September last year he was found by his stepfather hanging from his bed at home.

Marks on neck

Mrs Mison said she was sure he had been trying a choking game which, she said, youngsters played to give themselves a "high", the inquest heard.

She said in the weeks before his death Tyler had had bloodshot eyes, headaches and marks on his neck.

Mrs Mison said she had thought nothing of them at the time but with hindsight felt that they were classic signs of choking game experiments.

She said: "I had never heard of 'the choking game' before. But it is well-known in America and you can find it on the internet.

"I think teachers, parents, anyone who works with children should be made aware of the signs and the dangers."

The government said in a statement: "We believe that this practice is still relatively rare and unknown in most schools.

"On balance, we feel that a national awareness campaign may give the practice unwanted publicity and increase the risk that more children may experiment with it."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites