Bonfire death GP Darryl Peel had 'no idea' of risk

Darryl and Susie Peel Susie Peel said her husband's death was a "long and lingering process"

Related Stories

The widow of a Suffolk GP who died after pouring petrol on to items to be used in a bonfire said her husband had "no idea" of the risk he was taking.

Dr Darryl Peel, 51, was critically burnt as he lit a fire at his home in Huntingfield, near Halesworth, in February.

He died 20 days later at the specialist burns unit in Chelmsford.

His widow Susie Peel said Dr Peel's time in hospital had been a "long and lingering process".

Dr Peel, who worked at Framlingham Surgery, had been clearing out the yard at his home on 6 February.

Mrs Peel said: "It was long and lingering process and was very distressing for all his friends and family because he was bandaged from head to foot and not able to communicate.

"I was very shocked by the amount of medical and educated people, who you might have thought would have known the dangers, who had no clue - almost everybody said that they had done the same thing.

"That horrified me because of the potential for this to happen to another family."

Dr Peel managed to phone the emergency services and was airlifted to Broomfield Hospital.

Dave Pederson, Suffolk Fire Service Dave Pederson said people should "never" use accelerants on a bonfire

He had burns all over his body and his treatment involved him being put into a coma, from which he never awoke.

Mrs Peel said: "It had started to rain and I suspect the pile he had made got wet and he decided to give it a helping hand - he would never have thrown petrol onto a lit bonfire.

"What happens is the vapour from petrol spreads around the ground, clings to your clothes and when he lit the bonfire he was enveloped in a ball of flame."

Dave Pederson, group commander from Suffolk Fire Service, said: "If people must have a bonfire, they should never use petrol or other accelerants.

"Petrol constantly evaporates in our climate and people have a lack of understanding of how dangerous the vapours can be and how far they can spread and still be flammable."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Suffolk

Weather

Ipswich

13 °C 10 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • MouseEscape the rat race

    Burnt out? Meet the workers who took more than a vacation - and changed their lives

Programmes

  • (File photo) A man dressed as Father Christmas with a sleigh and a reindeer Click Watch

    A website which tracks Father Christmas, plus other sites and apps to keep you entertained

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.