Murderer Simon Hall 'lied about mental health'

Simon Hall
Image caption Murderer, Simon Hall was found hanged in his cell at Wayland Prison in Norfolk

A killer who claimed innocence for 10 years before admitting guilt denied he had mental health issues before he died in jail, an inquest heard.

Simon Hall, 36, was found hanged at Wayland Prison, Norfolk, in 2014, a year after confessing to killing Joan Albert in 2003.

A nurse told the inquest "no evidence of mental illness had been displayed".

But, the jury also heard Hall told a prison officer about suicide attempts although details were not passed on.

Nurse Tatenda Gotora said she registered Hall on his arrival at Wayland, in September 2013.

When asked if he had a history of drug abuse, mental health problems or had self-harmed in the past, he answered no to all three questions, she told Norfolk Coroner's Court.

However, the hearing was later told Hall had previously taken several overdoses at Hollesley Bay open prison, near Woodbridge.

Image copyright other
Image caption Joan Albert was found stabbed to death in her home in Capel St Mary, Suffolk in December 2001

After learning of Hall's mental health history later that day, Ms Gotora informed the prison's primary mental health team.

Nurse Bridget Diallo, of the primary mental health team, confirmed she saw Hall the day after his arrival to carry out an assessment of his condition.

He claimed he had personality disorders, but Hollesley Bay staff told her no such disorder had been found.

She claimed until her phone call to Hollesley, her team was not aware Hall was seeing a forensic psychologist, and there was no discussion between the doctor and her team.


She regularly met Hall and saw "no evidence of mental illness".

The jury heard Ms Diallo had not been informed when Hall told a prison officer about suicide attempts in his Wayland cell.

"We would expect to be involved but I don't know why we weren't told about these attempts," she said.

Hall was prescribed an anti-depressant in December 2013, but this was withdrawn 10 days later after it emerged he was not taking them.

He was removed from all serious monitoring reviews and was last seen by a member of the mental health team on 27 January 2014, a month before his death.

The inquest continues.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites