Surrey

Surrey charity's anti-freeze warning after badger dies

Badger
Image caption Two badgers were taken into the charity's hospital after licking anti-freeze

A badger has died and another is critically ill at a Surrey wildlife hospital after both animals drank anti-freeze.

The Wildlife Aid Foundation, based in Leatherhead, has issued warnings about the dangers of anti-freeze to wildlife, domestic pets and small children.

Charity founder Simon Cowell said the incidents appeared to be accidents and not deliberate poisonings.

But he said anyone who spilt anti-freeze should clear it up immediately.

He added that anti-freeze was a danger to domestic pets as well as wild animals and three or four licks of anti-freeze, which tastes sweet, could kill a dog or cat.

Children were also at risk because ingesting 10ml of liquid anti-freeze could be fatal, he said.

Both badgers were taken to the charity's hospital in Randalls Road.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites