Surrey fire chiefs warn Christmas fire risks 'double'
The number of house fires in Surrey tends to double during the festive period, fire chiefs have warned.
Surrey Fire and Rescue Service urged people to take extra care and not to leave cooking or candles unattended.
It said it attended 56 house fires last December, which is twice the monthly average of 28.
Fire officer Paul Otway said: "Christmas is a risky time because there are a lot more things in the home that can catch fire.
"Fairy lights, Christmas trees and candles all need to be treated carefully."