Surrey

Teen cautioned for false Horley abduction claim

A woman in her late teens has been cautioned for wasting police time after claiming she was abducted in Surrey.

The teenager had told police she had been walking along Langshott Lane in Horley on 25 April.

She said two men approached her and then forced her into a Ford Transit van and a third man drove the vehicle away with her inside.

Surrey Police said officers talked to the woman on Saturday when she admitted making a false allegation.

The teenager had claimed she was forced into a van but managed to escape minutes later.

Detectives who investigated her claims stopped vehicles and questioned more than 150 people in Horley on 26 April.

Det Sgt Karl Humphrey said: "We have carefully considered the circumstances surrounding the false allegation and the vulnerability of the woman and have decided that a caution is the most suitable form of action in this particular case."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites