Man denies 'planned poison attack on bus' in Surrey

A man accused of keeping dangerous substances at his home has denied he was planning to launch a deadly poison attack on a bus in Surrey.

Duncan Railton, 41, of Cranmer Close, Warlingham, apologised to police and the public for anxiety he had caused.

Giving evidence at Guildford Crown Court he said: "I've caused a lot of anxiety and worry, and people listening to this case will be worried."

He denies a charge of possessing dangerous or noxious things.

The judge ordered that a count of making threats to kill should not be proceeded with.

'Interested in chemistry'

The trial has heard that Mr Railton was planning to "release a chemical on public transport - most likely a bus", and his "violent fantasies" were revealed during sessions with psychiatrist James Ovens.

Graham Smith, prosecuting, told the court: "He said [to James Ovens] he had a large stash of chemicals at his home address.

"He appeared to be excited at the idea of the death and destruction they would cause."

It heard that when police raided Mr Railton's home last October he was found to have 98 different chemicals, including some that could make chlorine gas.

Chemicals found would also have potentially allowed him to make cyanide gas.

Taking the witness stand, Mr Railton said he had wanted Dr Ovens to listen to him because he was worried about voices in his head.

"Generally when I have seen psychiatrists it's like you are not there, and they don't address your issues," he said.

Asked by defence barrister George Hepburn Scott if he intended to carry out any attack, he said: "No."

Test tube

He told jurors how he had been interested in chemistry since schooldays and kept chemicals at home to carry out "classic textbook experiments".

An incident at his school when he was a teenager, which the court heard was a chlorine attack on an assembly, had only involved a test tube and no-one was hurt, Mr Railton said.

Cross-examined by Mr Smith, he agreed there had been times when he felt like killing himself.

"You were at a low point in your life, you wanted to kill yourself and perhaps kill others?" he asked.

"Not true," Mr Railton responded.

The court has heard Mr Railton had been receiving mental health treatment since 2007.

He had been taking anti-psychotic drugs earlier in 2012 but had stopped because they had side effects which gave him a heart condition.

The trial was adjourned until Thursday.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites