Surrey

Poisoned salmon on Surrey towpath kills dog

A dog has died after eating poisoned salmon placed on a canal towpath in Surrey.

The RPSCA said the golden retriever was thought to have ingested poisoned salmon pieces deliberately placed on the River Wey towpath at Godalming.

Warning notices have been put along the route near Pepper Harrow Lane.

A police spokesman said when the dog's owner returned to her car after their walk, her pet was ill and foaming at the mouth.

'Put on drip'

The woman re-traced her steps and found pieces of what appeared to be salmon scattered along the towpath.

PC James Ansell said: "The woman took her dog to the vet and he was put on a drip, but sadly he died the following day.

"His owner believes the salmon had been poisoned and tests are being carried out to establish the cause of death.

"If the dog had eaten poisoned salmon, the next step will be to try and find out what the fish had been poisoned with.

"We are also working closely with Natural England, which has an interest in the area."

The RSPCA spokesman said deliberately poisoning an animal could attract a penalty of up to six months in jail or a fine of up to £20,000.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites