Emily Davison tribute tree replaced after dying off

Composite image of the memorial tree and suffragette Emily Davison The original maple tree suffered after being transferred from a nursery

Related Stories

A tree commemorating the centenary of the death of suffragette Emily Davison has been replaced after dying just months after being planted.

The maple was planted in the grounds of Epsom Cottage Hospital, where the iconic campaigner died after being trampled by a horse at the Epsom Derby.

But it had to be replaced after developing a fungal disease when it was transferred from a nursery.

Those behind the memorial are optimistic the new one will flourish.

The tree, Latin name Acer davidii, was provided by the Epsom and Ewell Tree Advisory Board to ensure a lasting tribute to Miss Davison, who played a key role in securing parliamentary voting rights for women in the UK.

Emily Davison: An intended sacrifice?

Suffragette Emily Davison throws herself at King George V's horse
  • After being trampled by the king's horse on 4 June 1913, Emily Davison never regained consciousness, though it is not clear whether she intended to die for her cause
  • She had with her a return railway ticket, writing paper, envelopes and stamps - items which were often carried by suffragettes in the event of their arrest - and a ticket for a summer festival for the same day
  • As a result, the inquest into her death recorded a verdict of "misadventure" rather than suicide

Her death in 1913, at the age of 40, after being trampled by King George V's horse, Anmer, instantly made her a martyr for the suffragette movement.

'Let down'

The commemorative tree planted on 8 June in her honour, however, died a less noble death.

Mr Ford, chairman of the advisory board said although the old maple had looked as though it had been neglected, it had actually been well looked after.

He said it had been suffering from verticillium wilt, which he said maples sometimes suffered from after being "moved from the nursery into the permanent planting area".

"It's very upsetting. Unfortunately, it let us down and we had to put a new one in," he said.

Mr Ford and his volunteer colleagues cleared the site and replaced all the soil.

He added: "Hopefully, this one is going to survive.

"I'm looking forward to it bursting into life next April."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Surrey



7 °C 2 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • KnucklesGood or bad?

    For many it can be very satisfying to 'crack' the bones in your hand, but is it bad for you?


  • BatteriesClick Watch

    More power to your phone - the lithium-ion batteries that could last twice as long

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.