Two injured in Eastbourne flat block blaze

One person has been rescued and two people have been taken to hospital following a fire at flats in Sussex.

About 10 firefighters spent more than two hours tackling the blaze at the three-storey building in Compton Street, Eastbourne, earlier.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the person had been rescued before they arrived at the scene.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus and using an aerial ladder evacuated people from the building.

Two residents were taken to hospital. It is believed they were suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

It is thought the fire, which broke out on the third floor of the converted property, was started accidentally.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites