Sussex

Hove cycle lane petition signed by more than 3,200

Councillor Ian Davey leads protesters on a ride along The Drive cycle lane to city council offices
Image caption About 50 protesters turned up with their bikes to use the cycle lanes

More than 3,200 people have signed a petition opposing plans to remove a cycle lane in Hove.

Campaigners began the petition last month after plans to remove the lane were unveiled in budget proposals set out by Brighton and Hove council.

The Tory-run authority has said the move is in response to local demand.

Labour and Green Party councillors have opposed the plans along with cycling campaigners. The council will consider the move at a meeting on Thursday.

In February, up to 50 campaigners staged a protest by using the cycle lane running along Grand Avenue and The Drive.

Green Party councillor, Ian Davey, said the protesters wanted the removal plan scrapped.

'Serious concerns'

He said cyclists had welcomed the improved safety of the segregated lane which could be used by families.

He said some people said the lane reduced the width of the road and caused visibility problems.

Council leader Mary Mears wrote in her blog that the cycle lane was installed by the previous Labour council, was not well used, and there were "serious safety concerns".

She said there had been 42 casualties between 2008 and 2010 and the work was likely to cost less than £1.1m.

She wrote: "My primary concern as council leader has to be ensuring the safety of residents. In my view it was a costly mistake by the previous administration to agree this cycle lane in the first place.

"I truly believe that the only responsible option now is for us to remove it and to explore an alternative, safer route."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites