Sussex

Midhurst man rescued by off-duty firefighters

Three off-duty firefighters helped to rescue a 21-year-old man injured in a fire at a flat in West Sussex.

The man suffered burns to his arms and legs believed to have been caused when he moved a burning chip pan in his kitchen in Midhurst on Sunday.

The man had fallen asleep in the second-floor accommodation used by workers from the Spread Eagle Hotel.

The retained firefighters were in the Bricklayer's Arms opposite when staff noticed smoke pouring from the flat.

They forced open a door at the back of the building, found the injured man trying to come down the stairs and led him to safety.

They put out the fire with an extinguisher and gave first aid to the man before fire engines from Midhurst and Petworth arrived.

The man was later taken to hospital by ambulance.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites