Sussex

Discarded socks spark fire alert at Storrington house

A pair of socks which had become wedged beside the bulb of a bedside lamp led to a 999 emergency after smoke filled the bedroom of a West Sussex house.

Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the detached family home in Storrington on Tuesday night after the socks had started to smoulder.

The lamp, which had been left on in a child's bedroom, was taken out to the garden by firefighters.

The family had left the property before the arrival of the fire service.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue said one male had to be treated for mild smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene but did not need hospital treatment.

Smoke damage was contained to the bedroom.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites