Sussex

Woodingdean fire: Man and dog 'saved by smoke alarm'

An elderly man and his dog escaped from a ground floor flat in East Sussex after being woken by a smoke alarm early on Friday.

Fire crews were called at 01:56 BST and three pumps put out the fire which caused major damage to the block of flats in Cowley Road, Woodingdean.

The alarm could have saved the lives of residents said East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service (ESFRS).

Three people were taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighter Chris Baker from ESFRS said: "The man told me he was woken up by his smoke alarm.

"I've no doubt the outcome of the fire would have been far more serious if it hadn't been set off."

The last fire engine left the scene at 04:39 and the fire was thought to have started accidentally, said the fire service.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites