Sussex

Mouthwash reaction killed Brighton dental patient

Sacha Rumaner
Image caption Ms Rumaner suffered a reaction to the mouthwash at Morley Street Dental Clinic in Brighton

A woman died after suffering a fatal reaction to mouthwash during routine dental treatment in East Sussex, an inquest has heard.

Sacha Rumaner, 30, suffered an anaphylactic shock at the Morley Street Family Dental Clinic in Brighton.

Coroner Karen Henderson said failure of staff to recognise the condition was "regrettable but understandable".

Dr Henderson recorded a verdict of death by medical misadventure at Brighton County Court.

She said she would write to the chief executive of Sussex Community NHS Trust to ask the trust to review its provisions of resuscitation equipment and drugs in all dental treatment rooms.

The inquest heard Ms Rumaner had gone to the dentist on 2 February suffering from pain after having a tooth removed a week earlier.

Injection of adrenaline

After being given a rinse with household mouthwash, she complained of feeling hot and itchy before collapsing and sliding off the dentist's chair on to the floor.

The dental staff did not recognise her symptoms and after dialling 999 they were led to believe she was suffering an epileptic seizure, the inquest heard.

Dr Henderson said it was not possible to tell whether Ms Rumaner's life would have been saved if staff had recognised the condition.

The only thing that could have saved her was an injection of adrenaline administered as quickly as possible, she said.

She said: "Undoubtedly there are areas of concern, protocols were not adhered to and matters, particularly relating to resuscitation, were not done as smoothly as one would have hoped.

"The failure to diagnose anaphylactic shock was regrettable but understandable in the light of the extraordinary speed of the illness."

Dr Henderson said due to the speed of Ms Rumaner's collapse, it would have made any attempt to resuscitate difficult.

Image caption Solicitor Katy Meade said the family hoped the findings would help others

'Deepest sympathies'

There was nothing in Ms Rumaner's medical history to suggest she would react to the chlorhexidine in the mouthwash.

Speaking after the hearing on behalf of Miss Rumaner's mother Gillian, solicitor Katy Meade said the family hoped the findings would help others.

She said: "Today's verdict brings a long-awaited explanation to the tragic death of an exceptionally kind and joyful young woman."

Andy Painton, the chief executive of Sussex Community NHS Trust, offered his "deepest sympathies and condolences" to Ms Rumaner's family.

He said a review of procedures would take place in light of the coroner's comments.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites