Parents in Bexhill worried new playground is dangerous
Parents have raised concerns that a planned new playground in East Sussex might put children at risk of drowning.
Rother District Council is planning a £1m refurbishment of Egerton Park, in Bexhill, to improve the play facilities, but will not be fencing it off from the park's pond.
Some parents have complained this poses a risk to children.
However, the council said the necessary precautions had been made and parents had been consulted.
The proposals for the new playground will go before the planning committee on Thursday and if passed will be sent to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) for their approval.
'Drawn to water'
A council spokeswoman said: "The new play zone has been created in partnership with parents and children from the local area, many of whom are very happy with the proposals."
She added the play equipment for under fives would be positioned furthest away from the water and surrounded by timber logging and planting.
This is aimed at acting as a barrier to the pond, which is 30m (98ft) away from that part of the playground.
But mother Lotte Scott said: "Children should be supervised by their parents at all times, but being so close to water does have an extra danger to it.
"Children are drawn to water naturally. How soon does a ball roll towards water and child runs after it?
"Every single parent that I've spoken to, and that's quite a few, have said what a silly idea it is."