Sussex

Four taken to hospital after Bognor flats fire

Four elderly residents had to be taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation after a fire in a block of flats in West Sussex.

The three women and one man were exposed to smoke as residents left the 16 flats at Red Ridges in Kings Parade, Bognor, on Thursday evening.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the fire started in a ground floor flat occupied by a woman in her 80s.

It is believed it began when a discarded cigarette was put in a bin.

The fire was quickly extinguished with only light damage to the ground floor flat.

All the residents were be able to return to their flats later.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites