Sussex

Mo Bourner attack in Bexhill to feature on Crimewatch

Mohammed Bourner
Image caption Mohammed Bourner is no longer on a life support machine

A reconstruction of the events leading to the attack that left an East Sussex teenager with brain damage has been shown on BBC's Crimewatch programme.

Mohammed Bourner, 15, is seriously ill in Kings College Hospital, south-east London, following the attack in Bexhill on 29 October.

He is no longer on a life support machine but has suffered brain damage and does not recognise his family.

His parents made an emotional appeal during the programme.

'Worst nightmare'

His father, Peter Bourner, said: "He was really looking forward to going to the beach party with his friends.

"The next thing I know was any parent's worst nightmare. Straight into A&E and there he was on full life support in such a serious condition."

Sussex Police said Mohammed had been to a beach party before the attack at Glyne Gap and he was with three friends when he was punched by a man.

Image caption Peter Bourner said seeing his son in intensive care had been "every parent's worst nightmare"

Det Ch Insp Nick Sloan featured on Crimewatch at 21:00 GMT on Thursday.

He said: "A few weeks ago Mo opened his eyes for the first time but sadly he did not recognise his parents due to the extensive brain damage he has suffered.

"I am hoping that tonight's appeal will not only touch people emotionally but jog their memories and bring further leads as to who is responsible for doing this to Mo."

A 20-year-old man, who was arrested on 31 October, has been released on bail until 19 December.

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites