Storrington coach fire pupils go to hospital

Coach fire The coach was taking 60 children and adults on a day trip to Beaulieu Motor Museum

Three children have been taken to hospital suffering from possible smoke inhalation after a school coach caught fire in West Sussex.

Fire broke out in the engine of the coach carrying 60 children and adults from Storrington First School on a trip to Beaulieu Motor Museum in Hampshire.

The fire happened in London Road near the Whiteways Lodge roundabout, Arundel, at about 08:45 GMT.

The children were taken to hospital by ambulance as a precaution.

School coach fire Three children were taken to hospital suffering from possible smoke inhalation

The remaining passengers were put on another coach and returned to the school, where parents collected their children.

"I would like to praise the teachers and children from Storrington First School for the way they conducted themselves," said Sussex Police Sgt Alan Spicer.

"They remained calm throughout and the children listened to the direction of the teachers, who did a fantastic job."

Traffic in the area was delayed until the coach was removed from the road.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sussex

Weather

Brighton

23 °C 17 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • SpiderWeb of wonder

    BBC Earth takes a unique journey inside the body of a giant tarantula

Programmes

  • A person taking a photo of fireworks on a smartphoneClick Watch

    A look at the latest gadgets which could make it easier to take the perfect night-time picture

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.