Worthing barrier to prevent unlawful encampments
Construction of an earth bund to prevent unlawful encampments on a site in Worthing is set to start next week.
Worthing Council said there were two large encampments on the site between Anscombe Road and Bernard Road in the West Parade area last summer.
Council leader Paul Yallop said the bund will be built on the edge of the large grass-covered area.
He said residents had used their cars to protect the green last year.
The council said construction work would begin on Monday and the bund would be in place, weather permitting, by Christmas.
It said the site would have a lockable barrier and the ground would be seeded next spring.
Worthing Council said politicians across West Sussex and police had been working to reduce numbers of unauthorised encampments across the county.
Chichester District Council is considering making land available for a short-stay transit site that would be funded by authorities across West Sussex and run by the county council
It said a similar scheme in East Sussex had reduced unauthorised encampments.
The scheme is due to be discussed by Chichester councillors on 17 December.
Sussex police and crime commissioner Katy Bourne said concerns about unauthorised encampments formed a significant part of correspondence to her office and a transit site would enable police to direct people to the transit site or tell them to leave.