Sussex

Barcombe Mills fatal fire caused by electrical fault

A house fire that killed an 89-year-old woman started accidentally, an investigation has found.

Crews rescued the woman, who was unresponsive, from Mill Farm, Barcombe Mills, East Sussex, on Saturday morning.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service crews were unable to revive her and she was pronounced dead later.

A fire investigators concluded the blaze probably started in the area around the property's fuse box.

In a statement, the fire service said: "Investigators have concluded that a fatal fire in Barcombe on the morning of Saturday 14 December was accidental.

"Firefighters went into the burning building and managed to reach a woman in her eighties but she was unresponsive. Despite the best efforts of the crew, they were unable to revive her.

"Our thoughts are with the woman's family and friends."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites