Sussex

Newhaven rubbish fire continues for third day

Fire Image copyright Eddie Mitchell
Image caption Crews said they were dealing with a large amount of waste

A fire at an industrial estate where 200 tonnes of rubbish are alight has continued for a third day in Newhaven.

The blaze, described by firefighters as "serious", started on Friday morning at Skip-It containers in North Quay Road.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service have been at the scene since then.

The town is affected by smoke which is causing problems with visibility on roads. Residents and motorists have been advised by Public Health England to take steps to avoid it.

Crews expected to remain at the site throughout Sunday night and the area was still cordoned off, the fire service said.

Exposure warning

The fire service, Highways Agency and Sussex Police are due to hold talks on Monday morning to discuss whether cordons can be changed or lifted to allow greater access to the area.

On Sunday afternoon, the fire service tweeted: "Newhaven fire's still creating a lot of smoke - please take care on the roads in the area and avoid it completely when possible."

Public Health England issued advice via the fire service, which said residents in areas affected by smoke should stay indoors and keep doors and windows closed.

It said any smoke could be an irritant and people should either avoid being outdoors in the smoke or limit their exposure to it.

Motorists have been advised to keep windows and air vents closed and turn off air conditioning.

Respiratory symptoms could include coughing, wheezing, breathlessness, phlegm and chest pain. People affected should seek medical advice or call NHS 111.

Image copyright Eddie Mitchell
Image caption Firefighters remained at the scene on Sunday

Eight fire engines were at the scene at the height of the fire and extra crews were called in from West Sussex and Surrey fire services.

On Sunday evening, four fire engines were still present.

Environmental health officers, the Environment Agency, Sussex Police, Lewes District Council and coastguards are also involved in dealing with the incident.

The Environment Agency said its officers were monitoring the blaze and at this stage environmental impact was considered to be minimal.

The cause of the fire is not yet known. No-one has been injured.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites