Grenades exploded on Eastbourne building site
A cache of 80 anti-tank grenades from World War Two has been destroyed in a controlled explosion after being found on a building site in Eastbourne.
Sussex Police were called at 09:00 GMT after the incendiary devices were found near the Rodmill roundabout at Ratton.
One or two of the grenades exploded, sending up a sheet of flame, but no-one was hurt.
Bomb disposal experts from Folkestone, Kent exploded the remainder during the afternoon.
The grenades, marked AW Bomb 1940, are thought to have been phosphorus incendiary devices used as improvised anti-tank weapons when Britain was facing possible invasion following the evacuation from Dunkirk.
They were made by chemical company Albright & Wilson in the form of bottles filled with incendiary liquid.
During the controlled explosion the A2021 King's Drive was closed between the junction with King's Avenue and the Rodmill roundabout by Eastbourne District General Hospital.