Shoreham air crash families get compensation

Shoreham air crash Image copyright EPA
Image caption The Hawker Hunter jet crashed on to the A27 during the air show in August 2015

The owners of the vintage jet that crashed during last year's Shoreham air show, killing 11 men, have settled two compensation claims, a lawyer for the victims' families has said.

James Healy-Pratt, of Stewarts Law, said aircraft owners Canfield Hunter Ltd admitted responsibility in 2015.

He said the firm had resolved two claims and nearly resolved a third.

The owners said the admission was a statutory requirement and they could not comment further on compensation.

The Hawker Hunter jet crashed on to the A27 in West Sussex during the air show on 22 August last year.

The pilot, Andy Hill, is at the centre of a manslaughter investigation. The final AAIB report into the crash has not yet been published.

Image caption Mr Healy-Pratt said the terms of the compensation were confidential

Mr Healy-Pratt said: "We obtained an admission of responsibility from the owners of the Hawker Hunter at the end of 2015.

"Through their aviation insurance in London, we have already negotiated several compensation packages for some of our families, and the other ones we're continuing to negotiate and they'll probably get resolved this year."

He said his firm was representing just over half of the families involved.

He said the compensation packages were final and did not not depend upon the final AAIB report or any criminal prosecution.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionLawyers have acted on behalf of the Shoreham victims' families

A spokesman for Canfield Hunter said the owners could not comment any further given that the AAIB and police investigations were ongoing and the inquest had not yet taken place.

"We remain committed to doing everything we can to assist those affected by this tragic incident," he said. "We continue to be in contact with the authorities and are co-operating fully with the various ongoing investigations."

Image copyright PA
Image caption Mark Trussler went to watch the Vulcan bomber at the air show

Events to mark the first anniversary of the crash on Monday include a minute's silence on a toll bridge, where thousands of tributes were laid after the disaster. A church service is also being held on Saturday.

The partner of Mark Trussler, 54, one of the men who died, has said it is getting harder to deal with his death.

The father-of-six from Worthing went to watch the last flight of the Vulcan bomber, which was due to take place that day.

Giovanna Chirico, his fiancee, said: "I don't feel anything's got any easier, if anything it's got harder."

She said: "With it coming up to the year, I think I've become more emotional - it's really hard to explain really, just lost."

Ms Chirico said the toll bridge was a hard place to be: "There are just so many emotions when I'm up there.

"I sit there and I think why Mark? Why the other 10? Why the accident? I feel like I'm always overpowered by questions in my own head."

Image caption Giovanna Chirico, partner of victim Mark Trussler, said she felt lost

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites