Tees

Candle fire in Billingham sparks safety warning

A house blaze which led to a mother and her young son needing hospital treatment has prompted a safety alert from Teesside fire chiefs.

Cleveland Fire Brigade crews were called to Hastings Way in Billingham on Friday after a candle set fire to curtains in a living room.

A 35-year-old woman and her toddler son were taken to hospital, but later released after treatment.

A brigade spokesman warned against leaving candles unattended.

He said: "Candles can be a very quick way of seriously putting lives in danger if proper attention is not paid to them.

"On this occasion this family was very lucky, but on another occasion they might not have been so fortunate."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites