Tees

Hoarded items delay Newton Aycliffe fire rescue

  • 22 May 2013
  • From the section Tees
Debris scattered outside the property
Image caption Belongings were stacked up inside the property

The victim of a house fire had hoarded so many items inside her County Durham home that rescuers had difficulty getting inside, an inquest heard.

Anne Bradshaw, 66, died in hospital after the fire in Honister Place, Newton Aycliffe, in May 2012.

Items piled against the front door delayed access by fire crews, who rescued her son through a window.

County Durham and Darlington coroner Andrew Tweddle ruled that Ms Bradshaw's death was accidental.

He told the inquest that the amount of stuff in the house was "staggering".

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites