Tyne & Wear

Warning over harmful Tyneside lake algae

People are being urged to keep away from a Tyneside lake after potentially harmful blue-green algae was spotted.

The Environment Agency has advised that Killingworth Lake has high levels of the algae, which can be toxic.

North Tyneside Council has recommended that people keep themselves and their pets away from the water as a precaution.

The algae can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed. Its toxins are also dangerous to animals.

The council is closely monitoring the lake's wildlife but said it had not found any evidence of the algae harming fish or swans.

The Environment Agency said it would continue to sample the lake water on a regular basis and would advise when it was safe to use.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites