Jarrow gas explosion leaves six injured
- 23 June 2013
- From the section Tyne & Wear
Six people have been injured in a gas explosion at a house on South Tyneside which blew out windows and doors.
Nearby homes in Regent Road, Jarrow, were evacuated as a precaution after the blast at 07:45 BST.
Northumbria Police said a man and a woman had been taken to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary for treatment.
The fire service said gas specialists were investigating but there was no risk to other homes after the "low-level" gas leak.
A police cordon has been erected and Tyne and Wear Fire Service have been tackling a fire in the kitchen of the damaged house.
Group manager David Orr said five casualties, living in the house, had various injuries but none was serious.
He said a neighbour who came to help was also slightly injured.
The semi-detached house is near the Tyne and Wear Metro line and the busy A19. Trains were briefly suspended as a precaution.
Northumbria Police said local gas supplies might be affected.