Jarrow gas explosion leaves six injured

Windows blown out by gas explosion The fire service said there was no risk to other homes after the gas explosion

Six people have been injured in a gas explosion at a house on South Tyneside which blew out windows and doors.

Nearby homes in Regent Road, Jarrow, were evacuated as a precaution after the blast at 07:45 BST.

Northumbria Police said a man and a woman had been taken to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary for treatment.

The fire service said gas specialists were investigating but there was no risk to other homes after the "low-level" gas leak.

A police cordon has been erected and Tyne and Wear Fire Service have been tackling a fire in the kitchen of the damaged house.

Group manager David Orr said five casualties, living in the house, had various injuries but none was serious.

He said a neighbour who came to help was also slightly injured.

The semi-detached house is near the Tyne and Wear Metro line and the busy A19. Trains were briefly suspended as a precaution.

Northumbria Police said local gas supplies might be affected.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Tyne & Wear

Weather

Newcastle upon Tyne

15 °C 13 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Child museumChild's play

    Should children be allowed to run wild in museums? BBC Culture investigates

Programmes

  • A woman riding a bicycleClick Watch

    Cycling tech - from charging your phone with pedal power to backpacks that double as indicators

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.