Blaze boy Liam Mansell becomes youngest to receive bravery award
A four-year-old boy who raised the alarm about a blaze in his first week at school has become the youngest person to receive a bravery award from a north east fire service.
Liam Mansell spotted smoke at White Mere Community Primary School in Wardley, Gateshead.
He alerted a teacher and the school was evacuated.
Liam has been presented with his award by representatives of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.
He had been on his way to the toilet when he smelled smoke.
'School's on fire'
Headteacher Gail Howe said: "He's a very confident and friendly little boy.
"We are extremely proud of Liam. He was on his way to the toilet and thought he could smell smoke.
"He went straight back to the classroom and said, 'Miss, I think our school's on fire'."
The blaze was caused by something on a hob in the kitchen area of a nursery classroom and caused slight smoke damage.
Dave Eshott, the fire service's district manager for Gateshead, said: "He raised the alarm calmly enabling the school to be evacuated safely and quickly.
"If it were not for the bravery and grown-up way Liam acted, the incident could have easily escalated."