Wear

Durham man survives electric train shock

A man who climbed on top of a train to retrieve a shoe survived a 25,000 volts electric shock, police said.

The 23-year-old suffered severe burns and was thrown onto the track at Durham railway station on Saturday.

It is believed the man, from Cornforth, County Durham, was a Newcastle United fan who had travelled to the team's 2-0 home defeat against Blackpool.

He is critically ill but stable with 40% burns, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

A spokesman for BTP said he was given a huge shock from the live, overhead power lines.

It is believed he was travelling alone and officers are trying to find out how his shoe ended up on top of the train.

Plastic surgeon

Sgt Nigel Ashworth, of BTP, said: "Officers have launched an investigation into how the shoe came to be on top of the carriage.

"The area was busy at the time, and we are keen to hear from anyone who may have been on the train or at the station at the time of the incident."

He added that the man was "lucky to be alive" but would now need to be assessed by a plastic surgeon.

"The overhead cables carry 25,000 volts and are always live. Trespassing on the railway and climbing onto the outside of trains is extremely dangerous, as this incident shows."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites